ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

tire sizes for stock wheels

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
massrog

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:55 am    Post subject: tire sizes for stock wheels Reply with quote

I was looking around for tires for the factory white wheels for my newly (almost) purchased '85. I know the originals were staggered with higher wider rears. What is "modern" conventional wisdom on replacements?
Thanks in advance!
RogerG
plumkrazy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guessing you said white wheels you have a convertible. the tire size should be 225-60-15 front and rear, but if it was a Coupe it would be 225-50-15 which are harder to find. Ford but a sticker on the passenger door jamb with the size and pressures but ASC or time it may be gone
massrog

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plumkrazy wrote:
guessing you said white wheels you have a convertible. the tire size should be 225-60-15 front and rear, but if it was a Coupe it would be 225-50-15 which are harder to find. Ford but a sticker on the passenger door jamb with the size and pressures but ASC or time it may be gone

Thank you very much! The car has flat spotted tires on aftermarket cobra style 16's on it now. Has anyone done 16's on their convertible and if so sizes?
On the convertible is there a disadvantage to higher/wider in the rear handling- wise?
ChuckG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, PlumKrazy is correct. New vert decals are available from Hank at www.ascmclaren.com

Coupes ran with the standard Capri sticker, despite the tire swap.
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: tire sizes for stock wheels Reply with quote

massrog wrote:
I know the originals were staggered with higher wider rears.

Where did you hear this?

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
ChuckG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: tire sizes for stock wheels Reply with quote

massrog wrote:
I was looking around for tires for the factory white wheels for my newly (almost) purchased '85. I know the originals were staggered with higher wider rears. What is "modern" conventional wisdom on replacements?
Thanks in advance!
RogerG

No, they were not staggered.
massrog

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I say staggered I meant 50's on rear and 60's front. I since realized that was the coupe only (per Motorweek video on 86's). That said other than "originality" (which on this car has been lost with the ground effects) is there any performance reason not to do this on the vert?
ChuckG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

massrog wrote:
When I say staggered I meant 50's on rear and 60's front. I since realized that was the coupe only (per Motorweek video on 86's). That said other than "originality" (which on this car has been lost with the ground effects) is there any performance reason not to do this on the vert?

That was not a production car. Tires were all the same size--225/50/15s on Coupes, 225/60/15s on Verts

I bought two Coupes new--an '85 and an '86. I can assure you Full Coupes as 50s all the way around.
plumkrazy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

massrog wrote:

I would think you would put 60's on the rear and 50's on front to get the bigger wider tire for rear traction and the lowered front. To get the lowered front to rear rack. 235 60 15 was a popular size over the stock 225 60 15
massrog

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plumkrazy wrote:
massrog wrote:

I would think you would put 60's on the rear and 50's on front to get the bigger wider tire for rear traction and the lowered front. To get the lowered front to rear rack. 235 60 15 was a popular size over the stock 225 60 15

Ahh, yet another failure of the brain cells! I would have sworn my old '68 RS Camaro had 50's rear 70's front but that was 45 years ago! LOL Thanks for catching that for me! I was shopping based on that faulty memory rather than checking specs!
plumkrazy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe thinking J78 15 and F78 15 sorry just had this talk at work
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: