ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alpine 7272 questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
86MclarenCapri

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:42 pm    Post subject: Alpine 7272 questions Reply with quote

My 86 convertible has an aftermarket radio in it (that is on it's way out) and I wanted to go back to the original Alpine radio. I picked up a nice one a while ago that came with an Alpine 3505 amplifier.

I'm also planning on converting my standard door panels to the deluxe panels with speakers and I am looking for a set of Recaros.

My questions:

How are all the speakers connected?

I have factory speakers in the dash now-- I'm thinking that I would unhook those and move to the new door speakers.

OR, do you split the connectors to use both the dash speakers AND the door speakers?

Then, when I get the Recarros, how are the speakers in the headrest hooked up? Do you still use the door speakers?

Lastly, I hear that the amplifier is tucked under the dash somewhere--supposedly up under the center of the dash right below the top metal frame?

How is it secured?
67 Mustang GTA Convt
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, depending on the radio\amplifier...if it allows a range of 4 to 8 ohms of impedance, you can wire TWO 8 ohm speakers IN PARALLEL. You can wire TWO 4 ohm speaker in SERIES.

2 Speakers in parallel, HALVES the impedance. So TWO 8 ohm speakers in PARALLEL have a total impedance of 4 ohms...which is in range of most amps\radios.

2 Speakers in series, ADDS the impedance. So TWO 4 ohm speakers in SERIES have a total impedance of 8 ohms...which is in range of most amps\radios.

I don't know how the verts did it with the headrest speakers.

The coupes just had dash and rear speakers, so 4 speaker channels total which was the total output of the Kenwood.

I had to redo all of mine since it was ripped apart by some kid who cut holes in the doors for speakers. I got a used Ford amplifier harness, and cut it to interface to the radio and plug into the stock harness to drive the replacement dash and rear speakers. I had to source newer Kenwood fronts which were SUPER loud as they apparently were far more efficient than the ones from 85. To fix that I used a pair of potentiometers that were beefy enough to handle the massive 10 watts or so the channel was rated at and I dialed each one in to drop the decibal level to be in-line with the rears. When the Fade and Balance of the radio were both set to zero, the sound was correct if you had your head in the center of the cabin.

Then I promptly hooked the radio power up backwards and now need to get the radio fixed. I'm looking at a power diode that will prevent that...as the fuse didn't protect anything.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: